Sunday, January 08, 2012

Best Albums of 2011: One more person trying to force their musical tastes onto you.

Sometimes I feel that, as an English teacher I should be selecting albums for their lyrical genius, but this year was at tough one, and was really looking for albums that spoke to me. I looked back over the year and searched out the music that stomped on my foot (really happened with one album), or grabbed me by the pelotas (metaphorical, of course). So below you will find some albums that were meaningful to me, but that will undoubtedly rock your socks off. Enjoy! Listen to them here.

Albums
 

1. Bon Iver - Bon Iver

Yeah I know, what list as this album not been on? I suppose there is a reason it is so universally acclaimed: it is amazing!!!  Put a ton of great musicians together and add in Vernon’s beautiful auto-tuned falsetto, and I would be upset if it was anything less than amazing. I’ll leave the reviews for the professionals, and I’ll just tell you why I love it. It’s so damn unique. The album is unlike anything else I’ve heard (even their previous album). There appears to be a bit of 80’s era (Gayngs) influence, but it sounds nothing like that album either. If you haven’t heard it yet, step out from the hole you’ve been living in, put on a pair of headphones or crank it in the car, and let the album carry you on a sonic journey.

2.  The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar

Trying to distract myself from working on my thesis, I stumbled onto NPR's SXSW live stream just as Joy Formidable started playing their set. I was blown away. Such a powerful driving sound from a three-person band. Plenty of reverb, plenty of clashing cymbals, plenty of guitar solos. It is hard not to start moving when listening to this band. So much of the reason why I love this band, however, cannot be separated from the fact that they are amazing live. Ritzy Bryan, the Welsh lead singer, can rock out with the best of her male counterparts (maybe better) evidenced by videos from live performances where she jumps around the stage and smashes guitars to pieces. At the same time when she slows down and sings some of her more potent lyrics, she does so with such a convincing and calm, almost creepy, wide-eyed stare that it leaves you a little hypnotized. Later you may just find yourself checking your phone to see how far you need to drive to see them again tomorrow night. I can’t wait to see what their second album looks like (they hit the studio in November so I guess we’ll all have to wait and see).

3. Middle Brother - Middle Brother

Paste Magazine claimed on that these guys “out-monstered Monster of Folk,” and that about sums it up, end of review. Ok really, this band (a side project for members of Deer Tick, The Dawes, and Delta Spirit) can rock out so wild it seems like they don't care (take the title track as an example), but the music is too damn beautiful and well composed to believe that this is really the case. The album also has several heartfelt little ditties like “Daydreaming,” that capture the pains of being a single dude (It reminded me of my own high school desperation). Overall, Middle Brother will move you both through the honesty of their lyrics and the grooviness of their jams. Listen to them now! 

4. Seryn- This is Where We Are

I am a sucker for harmonies, and Seryn's five-part harmonies and accompanying folk melodies nail it.  Each song builds in intensity and by the end many downright take my breath away (if this sounds a little cheesy listen to "Beach Song" uninterrupted and tell me I am wrong). Throughout each song, the singers’ harmonies blend with the fingerpicked banjo and violin (as well as the trumpet, guitar, cello, ukulele, accordion, drums, pump organ, bells, and the occasional foot stomp). I can't help but sing along to this band, but I am simultaneously reminded that I can't sing (so I just turn up the volume, and belt it out louder). This is also a great album to listen to when relaxing. Crank it up, close your eyes, and let it wash over you. Considering Paste magazine also voted Seryn's SXSW set the best live performance of the year, I will need to see these guys live in 2012. Anyone want to join me?

5. Gillian Welch - The Harrow & the Harvest-

My wife gets mad when I put this album on, and makes fun of me for enjoying this folk-country album, ironic considering I was the one who cringed when she spun the radio dial to a country music station when we were in high school. I suppose I've grown up, or gotten soft in my old age. Either way, the music of Gillian Welch and the subtle harmonies of her partner David Rawlings, especially the first three songs and "Tennessee", haunt me every time I put on a pair of headphones and listen to the album. Even Rawlings' upbeat fingerpicking can't lift the album up out of the somber mood it creates. This album has a special place in my heart, and may be my most meaningful pick of the year, because I spent a lot of time listening to it while drinking alone, and fending off depression this spring. (Looking back, this might not have been the best practice, but it just felt right.)

6. Fucked Up - David Comes to Life

First of all, you gotta love the lyrics (though you have to pay attention to understand them). David Comes to Life is a tragic love story/ battle between good and evil,  that also attempts to investigate the nature of fiction and storytelling. Pretty heavy for a hardcore band (no pun intended). Musically the album is beautiful. From the opening intro track "Let Her Rest" to the end of the album, the harmonizing electric guitars and the addition of Jennifer Castle and Madeline Folin singing, clash magnificently with the gutteral vocals of David Abraham. This album claimed an even more intimate place in my heart when I saw Fucked Up perform just about the whole thing at the Casbah. I didn't expect such a small place to get rowdy so I wore sandals. After the pit broke out during the first 30 seconds of the show, and Abraham drew the small crown into frenzy, I had to get in the middle of it. A friend, Luke Perkins (who had never been in a pit before) and I soaked up the sweat of others and gritted our teeth as we got our feet stomped to smithereens. I loved every minute of it. Listen to it and you will see why it is impossible to just sit still.

7 Tune- Yards - W H O K I L L

Another NPR find, tax dollars well spent, was this year’s Tune Yards album. Meryl Garbus’ unique style of singing/ warbling, interesting instrumentation, and clever lyrics (my favorite is Gangsta) makes her another powerful front-woman. I was surprised with how unique this album was, and immediately hooked, as you will be too.  

8 Iron and Wine - Kiss Each Other Clean

This alum is quite a departure from the traditional, mellow acoustic style present in Iron and Wine's previous work, namely Creek Drank the Cradle, and Our Endless Numbered Days. Some hate it for that fact, but I love it. Though the album is much more upbeat than prior albums, Sam Beam likened it to 70’s radio songs, the same attention to detail is present in the lyrics (check out the lyrics of "Walking Far from Home," and "Big Burned Hand"). I also love the full band. The saxophone lends the album a jazzy feel, while the bass and electric guitars do their fair share of funking things up.

9 The Decemberists – The King is Dead

The most radio-friendly Decemberists album, may have helped to spread the bands sphere of influence and introduce people to new vocabulary words. Leave to Colin Meloy to make a poppy album that still includes words like loam and plinth (making his English teacher proud no doubt). Beyond Meloy’s always powerful and interesting lyrics (my favorite = “Don’t Carry it All), I really enjoyed the upbeat more sing-along style album. I like the rural living theme, and listen to this album when I am missing the wilderness. I also just listen to it whenever I feel like good music. 

Other great albums (that couldn’t be excluded):

The Cave Singers- No Witch- I stumbled upon this band this year and fell in love with Pete Quirk’s scratchy raw voice. This indie rock/folk band sets the foot a tappin’ with the rockin’ jams like “Black Leaf” and mellows things out with more gypsy-style groove tunes like “Outer Realms.” Both styles are interesting and provide depth when listening to the album as a whole.

The Civil Wars- Barton Hollow: Harmony-laden country-leaning folk duo in the same genre as Gillian Welch but sounding more upbeat, The Civil Wars manage to fit a lot of misery into their beautiful songs. Take a close look close look at the lyrics and you’ll see. Overall, Barton Holow is a beautiful album. My wife loves it, go figure.

The Black Keys- El Camino – Another great album by the Black Keys. Lovin’ the new distortion effects and the backup singers on some of the songs. Foot-tapping goodness, in fact it makes you want to dance. Perhaps like this guy (this is the official video for “Lonely Boy” btw).

 

 

Posted via email from mjgonzales's posterous

No comments: