Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Father, the Son, the Holy Spirit, and the Bird Man

I just finished watching Bill Maher’s Religulous, which was, to put it lightly, annoying and tedious. But despite the films flaws it introduced me to something I had never heard before. The connection between the story of Jesus Christ as told in the Gospels and the story of Horus, the falcon headed Egyptian god. I am in no way invested in the idea the scripture is inerrant nor was this the first time I had heard about mythology or pagan religions influencing the bible. My faith wasn’t shattered when in college I read the Epic of Gilgamesh and learned that the story of the flood in Exodus was most likely borrowed from that text. In fact I already assumed that a great many Old Testament stories were mythical and meant to be instructive not historical. But I had never taken that approach or heard similar stories to New Testament until Mr. Maher introduced Jesus’ bird headed distant cousin.

He really has a lot in common with Jesus. Check it out Virgin birth, son of (a) god, performed miracles (including both raising a guy named Lazarus from the dead), said to be the savior, had 12 disciples, crucified on a cross around age 30, rose again 3 days later after defeating death, etc. In case you might have been confused about the timing this legend came about at least 2000 years before Christ was to have lived. That would mean that biblical authors borrowed their ideas from the Egyptians. And unless the savior comes back around every so often (which would stoke fans of the Matrix) this knocks me a little off of my foundation.

Since reading a little bit about this I’ve been trying to determine if it takes away much of my faiths’ validity. However that is a good thing. It has caused me to reevaluate the most important tenants of my faith. For example, it’s really not that important that Jesus was born of a virgin or that he turned water into wine (though I was excited about that one). The crucifixion + resurrection, on the other hand, are kind of key. What does my faith look like without them? If that part of Christianity is negated then things might get a little tricky. Without this tenant of Christianity, essentially the part that says Jesus died to forgive our sins, the backbone is seemingly cut out of out of my understanding of God, my faith becoming a jellyfish beached and waiting to die, or is it?

So some questions remain:
  • Am I reading too much into this?
  • Am I ok with the normal guy Yeshua? Is the fact that he was a peaceweaving           nonconformist and revolutionary enough to follow him? deify him?
  •  What remains of my faith without Jesus?
  • Is there still the possibility that the Holy spirit speaks to us?
  • Is there still the understanding that there is a God of love and his ideal is what we strive for?

Send answers or thoughts if you have them!!

5 comments:

brooke said...

Hmmmmmmmmm...I hope people comment on this, because I have nothing to say.

cashman said...

Hmmm... This is a thinker! I love thinking... thanks Matt.

Here are my wild and crazy initial thoughts.

You told me about this a little on Saturday, and I've thought more about it. First off, I have a way of really wanting to challenge everything that is "known" about Christianity. So, when I first heard that there was a parallel story to Jesus in the Hindu religion, I started to wonder, what if the story is really about the same guy? Now that I know about this Horus guy, I wonder the same thing. First of all, how do we know that Jesus really lived 2000 years ago and not 4000 years ago? I mean, we know the stories of the bible were written around 150-200 AD, so they had previously been just stories by word of mouth. What if the story of Jesus is the story of Horus, just told differently to the Jews so they would relate at the time.

I'd really like to know more about the creation of the calendar (which I can't find via google). I know that the Gregorian Calendar was invented in the 1500's and I believe that's when they came up with the terms, BC and AD, which makes me wonder how in the hell they could have possible conceived when Christ was born. They didn't have carbon dating, or science or anything. I read in one history website that BC is before the Christian ERA. Maybe that's more accurate, maybe the year that was chosen (by the same rich religious white guys who decided the books of the Bible) was simply the best estimate of when the Horus story came north a little and became the Jesus story.

Does that make sense at all?

If so, maybe it just doesn't matter WHEN any of this stuff happened, but it reinforces that the TRUTH of the Books of the Bible lie in their application to life, not in literal translation. More and more people are conceding that, yes these stories are the final product of hundreds (or maybe thousands) of years of word of mouth. So we as Christians are being challenged already to think not so much about what happened, but more about what it means to us.

2 Timothy 3:16 says that all scripture is inspired from God and is useful in teaching. As I've shared with many people before, I believe this is not just referring to the Books of the Bible because when this was written there was no such thing as the Bible. I believe the author was saying that any account of God that one shares with others is inspired by God, and God can use it. I don't think it matters whether we call Him Jesus or Horus or Vishnu (who is part of the hindu trinity - basically the Jesus).

So to answer your questions, I say Yeshua was not a normal guy, you can still deify him, and there's no reason to think that Horus de-qualifies The TRUTH in Jesus.

Unknown said...

Hi matt,

just saw this post, dont have a lot of time, but here is some input from my research:

Horus was not born of a virgin, but rather through Necrophilia(sick). This is from the Encyclopedia of Mythica:

She [Isis] retrieved and reassembled the body, and in this connection she took on the role of a goddess of the dead and of the funeral rights. Isis impregnated herself from the Osiris’ body and gave birth to Horus in the swamps of Khemnis in the Nile Delta.

In no way is that similar to the birth of Christ. As for the twelve disciples bit, I couldnt find anywhere that talked about this, I read something about 4 semi-divine followers and a large number of human followers. And even if it was true I see no relevance.

As for the death of Horus, He was stung by a scorpion, and then Isis(mom) grabbed Thoth(healer god I guess) and they did a spell and brought him back to life. I got this information from a translated egyptian tablet here(http://www.touregypt.net/horus.htm) Crucified? no. Ressurected? yes, but not in anyway shape or form like the ressurection of Christ. And I know in your post you mentioned that your faith in the absence of some of the stories of the bible. I think that there would be no faith especially with things like the resurection and crucifixtion. Paul even writes about it, he says if there was no resurrection then theres no point in Christianity. I agree. If you want to read a really good book that deals specifically with this mythology type stuff check out:

The case for the real jesus by Lee Strobel



I guess all I'm saying is you really have to be careful these days with every type of information, most of this type of stuff has an neo-atheist agenda, or a Chistian agenda. If you want an AMAZING site, with awesome discussions and questions with answers go here www.reasonablefaith.org
This guy has a docterate in Theology and Philosophy and is really interesting, especially with his question and answer section.

Unknown said...

so that site I was talking about, I found a question and answer that was on this whole mythology thing, havnt read it yet, but here it is:

http://www.reasonablefaith.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=6813

Michael said...

Hi,

I would recommend doing some of your own research via Google. Just type in something like:

"Christ and Horus apologetics"

Apologetics is to give a defense of the Christian faith on intellectual grounds. So, if you throw that word into a search, you're bound to return articles written by various scholars regarding the topic.

Couple good sites:

http://www.str.org
http://www.reasonablefaith.org