Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Starting Lent off with a Bang!
This morning I was greeted by a student who was more awake than usual. She walked into my English class at 7:20 this morning shouting "Mr. Gonzales Mardi Gras is today, Whoo! Yeah! Are you gonna party tonight ?!"  I looked up up, half asleep, and saw her shaking a fist full of  purple and yellow metalic beads awaiting my response.  

"Huh?" was all I could think to say. "To be hoest I had no idea it was Fat Tuesday."

"Well I am!!" she  said and turned to talk to another student quietly, but not quietly enough. "Yeah, I'm totally gonna go out tonight. Check out the beads I got last year. I have another  one at home that says show me your tits!! I was gonna wear it today, but I thought it'd get  taken away."

The other student chimed in "That's awesome!! How'd you get 'em?"

At that point I walked to the other side of the room for fear of what else I might hear, and thanked God that my students keep me informed of the deeper meaning of religious holidays.  

1 comment:

brooke said...

Ah, the awkward life of a high school teacher.