Friday, December 24, 2010

Write what you know. Words of wisdom handed down by one of the many knowledgeable English teachers I had in college. And I plan to do that very thing right now.  

Some call me a beer snob, beer geek, beer connoisseur or aficionado. However unpleasantly or bourgeois (or unpleasantly bourgeois) you make it sound, I like beer and I know it well! What follows is the list of the best beers I’ve imbibed in the last year mind you. Not the beers released this year (I’m not that hardcore). I recommend you find these beers immediately, and indulge you inner beer geek-ness, you won’t be sorry. 

Best beer + drinking experience

1. BrewDog Tokyo- At 18% ABV and $8 per glass you really have to earn this beer. So I drank it after running a half marathon. This incredibly unique beer, added a nice needed numbness to my legs and body that was well appreciated after running. Considering the alcohol it is not too boozey, the booze is covered up by complex fruit, oak, and maybe herbs(?). It kicked my ass almost as much as the ½ marathon. 

2. Bitches Brew- I drank this with some great company on my birthday. My wife arranged a beer-luck (beer + a food paired to go with it potluck). I drank this with amazing brownies made with  Bitches Brew... beer-gasm! Chocolatey smooth beer with chocolatey spicy brownies = amazing!

3. Monks mistress Midnight Sun- I drank this delicious Belgian strong ale while with my in-laws looking out at a beautiful cloud covered lake a few miles outside of Seward, AK. I bought this and a few other  Midnight Sun beers to share with Steve Reed, who wanted to get to know some new types of beer. So we talked, watched the rain fall and drank delicious beer. Later we visited the Brewery in Anchorage and were impressed by other beers too. I thought we’d be stuck drinking Alaskan amber, and MGD for the 2 weeks we were in AK but low and behold Midnight Sun Brewing saved the day. Just check out their page on ratebeer, an amazing array of good and unique beers.

Best beer-  uniqueness

1. Stone Belgo RIS- Wow. I love Stone’s Russian Imperial stout to begin with but mix in some Belgian yeast and the resulting chocolate/ coffee/ fruity goodness was fantastic.  

2. Green Flash Grand Mantis- Merlot barrel aged Belgian with brett (sour yeast). This beer just overwhelmed me. Sour, fruity, a little bit of wood and wine smoothing it out = Amazing! Since I had this beer at a special Hamilton's night I doubt I’ll ever see it again.

3. Marin Old Dipsea Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine – Had this at Hamilton's and was amazed at the bourbon smell and flavor. I prefer my bourbon barrel aged beer to taste a lot like bourbon and this one did! At the same time the rich boozey vanilla of the barleywine balanced it out. I drank this too fast, but loved it.

No comments: